Chassis number ‘LML/50/126’ was delivered new to J H Vantol Ltd of London EC4 on 10th April 1952 and first registered ‘RPH 2’. Its original engine is listed as ‘LB6B/50/568’ and the exterior colour as Deep Carriage Green. ‘RPH 2’ was once raced by George Abecassis, co-founder with John Heath of Hersham and Walton Motors, better known as HWM, the world’s longest-serving Aston Martin agent having been appointed in 1951. Abecassis was also an Aston Martin works driver and husband of Angela Brown, daughter of Aston Martin Lagonda owner, David Brown.
The engine in the car today – ‘VB6B/50/377’, a 2.6-litre Vantage unit – is that listed in the logbook so must have been installed at some time prior to 1962 and was installed by the factory in 1958.
From 1982 it was campaigned extensively in competition by then owner Bill Monk and was a familiar sight at numerous competitive events in Britain and abroad. These include: the 1999 Tour de France Auto, 2000, Round the World Rally, 2002 Le Mans Classic, 2003 Mille Miglia, 2004 Le Mans Classic and 2005 races at Mallory Park and BRDC Silverstone where it finished 14th
and 9th respectively. Fitted with a 125bhp Vantage specification engine and boasting a well-sorted chassis, the DB2 has always proved competitive especially the 2004 Le Mans
Classic in which it finished a highly creditable 11th on performance.
Presently finished in blue metallic with black leather interior ‘LML/50/126’ is currently receiving a complete bare metal restoration here at Colin Blower motorsport.